The congregation’s 2016 Annual meeting was held on January 10th with reports being received and ballots cast and counted. A whole year of ministry by a congregation cannot be represented by written reports as those pages reflect the organizational structure of the congregation.
Congregations are actually people. People with lives that at times are difficult and at other times joyous, sometimes boring and sometimes exciting, and most times normal, with everyday tasks being accomplished. Yet in those ordinary days we live as Christians by God’s Grace and witness through our daily living that being a Christian is more than going to “Church” on Sunday.
Here is an adaptation of a posting on the Facebook page of “imsoblesseddaily” that is offered as food for your thoughts:
- A congregation is not a building, though a building can be used by a congregation.
- A congregation is not about Sunday, but a congregation should not forsake meeting together.
- A congregation is not about one person or personality though every congregation should be pastored.
- A congregation is not about size or growth, but every congregation is called to make disciples.
- So do not think of a congregation as an address or location, rather think of a congregation as mobile and on the move.
- Do not think of a congregation as something planted or built, but rather think of a congregation as something deployed.
- Do not think of this congregation as where you spend one hour a week but what you do every day of the week.
- A congregation is the hands and feet of Jesus the Christ. Feet go and hands do. You are Zion Lutheran congregation.
- Now go and be the church where you live and work.
Zion Lutheran has a mission statement that concentrates those many words into a single sentence, “We gather to worship, grow in faith, and go to share the good news of God’s Grace.” Zion Lutheran is about serving through our ordinary lives.
Pastor Dave Home: 912-232-6215 Cell: 912-596-55466